Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grey Gardens

Last night while I was doing laundry I decided to pop "Grey Gardens" into my DVD player to stave off boredom...what ended up happening is me getting out my sketch book and making detailed drawings and notes about every outfit Drew Barrymore's character Edith Beal wears in her early years. It is now a goal in my life to thrift till I drop to find a close match to each and every one of them! Obv there are many more wonderful outfits that I couldn't find screen shots of... so if you love Depression/WWII Era clothing, I would highly recommend checking out this movie. Honestly I haven't even finished it yet, so I can't tell you if I would recommend it cinematic quality-wise, but if your a vintage fashion bug, it's a must see.

I mean how cute are these shorts?! They have this fantastic detailing with little red buttons above the pockets. And best of all she has on a pair of white heeled sandals with it all, which in my mind is simply the epitome of late 1930's Hampton beach style.

I would kill for this ivory silk hooded dress. It's so flowy and whimsical and elegant. Hooded dresses are my new favorite thing, so this takes the cake.

This is the outfit that appears about 20 minutes into the movie that finally got me to abandon my laundry and start madly sketching away. I don't have a tiny little long torso like Ms. Barrymore, but with the help of a little old fashion girdle...I will rock this look soon enough!

7 comments:

  1. That last outfit is amazing. You would look hot in that outfit!

    I went to my interview today and I so want the job!!! It's at a place like AK Serigraphics where they print tshirts and and stuff.

    Oh, and question: how come your url and the word zaftig are spelled z-a-f-t-i-g but your title up top says z-a-t-f-i-g? Am I retarded? Did I miss some explaination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. fashionwise this is amazing! wow must check it out.

    btw love your blog, got referred here by delightfully tacky and cannot wait to read more. would you like to trade links?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely going to add this to my 'to watch' list. You had me at Drew Barrymore. Can't wait to see your take on that last outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. weird but I too watched some of this movie lst night. I had recorded the original Grey Gardens and also the movie so I watched bits of both. The fashion in the movie was fab but couldnt really tie it in to the documentary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love grey gardens, the fashion and story make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey what an interesting web site!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your words are like sweet sweet music to my ears...or eyes! Thank you!